Active Members are required to meet continuing education requirements, completing a minimum of 72 credit hours in each three-year reporting cycle, with a minimum of 16 credit hours in any one-year. Active Members must be in public practice and meet one of the following requirements.
- Have a valid permit/license granted under state law for the public practice of accountancy, taxation or law
- Public Accountant
- Accounting Practitioner License
- Tax Permit/License
- Certified Public Accountant
- Attorney at Law
- Have the Enrolled Agent designation
- Have passed the IRS Registered Tax Return Preparer exam.
- Possess a credential from the Accreditation Council for Accountancy and Taxation (ACAT): Accountancy (ABA),
Accredited Tax Advisor (ATA ), Accredited Tax Preparer (ATP), Accredited Retirement Advisor (ARA)
- Have an Associate, Baccalaureate or higher degree with a minimum of 24 semester hours in accounting.
- Have 3+ years experience in public accounting and/or taxation. Within 5 years of joining, the applicant must meet at least one of the criteria
for active membership outlined above.