Active Members are required to meet continuing education requirements, completing a minimum of 72 credit hours in each three-year reporting cycle, with a minimum of 16 credit hours in any one-year. Active Members must be in public practice and meet one of the following requirements.
- Have a valid permit/license granted under state law for the public practice of accountancy, taxation or law
- Public Accountant
- Accounting Practitioner License
- Tax Permit/License
- Certified Public Accountant
- Attorney at Law
- Have the Enrolled Agent designation
- Have passed the IRS Registered Tax Return Preparer exam.
- Possess a credential from the Accreditation Council for Accountancy and Taxation (ACAT): Accountancy (ABA),
Accredited Tax Advisor (ATA ), Accredited Tax Preparer (ATP), Accredited Retirement Advisor (ARA)
- Have an Associate, Baccalaureate or higher degree with a minimum of 24 semester hours in accounting.
- Have 3+ years experience in public accounting and/or taxation. Within 5 years of joining, the applicant must meet at least one of the criteria for active membership outlined above.
Associate members, who are not eligible to vote or hold office, do not need to meet continuing education requirements. Applicants meeting the following qualifications are eligible for Associate Membership.
- Owner, partner, or employee of an accounting and/or tax firm & do not meet Active Member requirements.
- Employed in government, a financial institution, private sector business or a non-profit entity. My primary responsibilities are accounting and/or taxation.
Young Professional/New to the Industry Membership
Young professionals (39 years of age or younger) or new to the industry (0-3 years experience) qualify for either Active (must meet one of the NSA Active membership requirements) or Associate Young Professional membership. This membership is offered at a reduced rate of $149/year for up to three years.
This membership enables NSA members to sign up additional members from the same firm at a discounted rate. The first two NSA members from the same company pay full dues and each additional membership is discounted to $149/year. Firm members qualify for either Active (must meet one of the NSA Active membership requirements) or Associate membership.